Uber just bought Postmates. Consequently, I'm closing the DNA Pizza Postmates account. And I encourage you to close your Postmates account as well.
There are almost innumerable reasons to not do business with Uber, but let's start with: it is literally blood money:
- Saudi Prince Mohammed bin Salman owns more than 10% of Uber, at over $3.5 billion of investment.
- The CIA concluded that bin Salman personally ordered the murder of journalist Jamal Khashoggi. He was dismembered with a bone saw while still alive, beheaded, and had his fingers cut off within minutes of walking into a Saudi embassy.
- Even after Prince Bonesaw ordered the murder of a journalist, Uber founder and billionaire sociopath Travis Kalanick (who still owns 8.5% of Uber, after being fired as CEO) took another $400 million from the Saudis for another bullshit gig-economy con-job called "Cloud Kitchens" where now he's trying to dismember the restaurant industry and sell off the parts.
Here's Uber's CEO Dara Khosrowshahi saying of bin Salman, "Who among us hasn't dismembered someone with a bone saw? Mistakes were made."
I think that government said that they made a mistake. It's a serious mistake. We've made mistakes too, right, with self-driving... So I think that people make mistakes. It doesn't mean that they can never be forgiven.
If, after knowing this, you would ever, ever give money to Uber... what is wrong with you? What would it take?
But let's keep going, shall we?
- Here's Uber admitting, in their IPO documents, that to succeed, they need to destroy public transit:
In a document filed with the SEC, Uber reports that it seeks, as part of its growth strategy, not just to get people out of private cars but to get them off public buses and trains. Those public services would be replaced by Uber Buses [...]
Uber is telling Wall Street that its future as a company may depend on its ability to convince people to take private cars and buses instead of public transit, starving transit and ultimately forcing everyone to pay Uber to get around.
- Here's video of Uber subsidiary Jump shredding thousands of electric bikes, because "Landfill Capitalism" means that they don't need to give a shit about the environment.
- Here's Kalanick collaborating on Trump's "Advisory Council" -- right up until 200,000 customers closed their accounts in protest.
- Here's Uber brazenly and illegally testing self-driving cars on public streets in SF.
- Here's Uber literally getting away with murder, after killing someone with one of their self-driving car tests.
- Here's Uber scabbing the deportation protests in 2017.
- Here's Uber threatening to fire employees for complaining to HR about sexual hasrassment.
- Here's Uber running a smear campaign against the employee they fired for going public with that.
- Here's Uber's unfixable tech-bro culture.
- Here's Uber's lack of background checks and accountability for their contractors. Who are so very rapey.
- Here's an Uber promotion letting you request "Hot Chick" drivers.
So that's who Postmates is now. Do you want to enrich them?
That "Cloud Kitchens" enterprise is a dystopian horror show, too. It means that Kalanick and the Saudi Sovereign Wealth Fund own the first part of restaurant take-out -- the menu and online ordering; they own the third part -- delivery; and now they also own the second part -- actually making the food. The "restaurant", at that point, is just a brand logo. Their sweatshops make the same food for everybody and paste whatever name on it. The restaurant isn't even a franchise at that point. It's a sticker.
Taking this stand is probably going to cost us a big chunk of our (small, and dwindling) weekly delivery business, but enough is enough.
You can still find us on the other delivery services. But, as always, it's better for everyone if you call us directly at 415-626-0166 for pick-up. That way we don't have to turn over a full 15% of the order price to these middlemen.
Oh yeah, please join our Patreon.