7-Jul-2016 (Thu)
Wherein Pac Man returns in time for robots.

Hey, Pac-Man is back, finally! My friend did a great job of refurbishing it. He fixed a bunch of things I didn't even notice were broken, so the display is a lot sharper now, too.

Bring quarters.

So, we have this giant CO2 tank in the back that drives our bars, and there's a hose going from that tank to the street, so they can charge it up from the truck directly instead of needing to come into the building and swap tanks. Fun fact, in the 15 years we've been here, I've never seen them charge it up, until today:

It made a ridiculously loud noise and expelled a gigantic 20-second-long plume every time he hooked or unhooked something. Seriously, it looked like one of those vaping douchebags who seem to think that the point of smoking is to be as performative about it as possible. It made me ask myself, "Is it supposed to do that?" I'm going to go with, "It is absolutely not supposed to do that. But that's the way this guy has always done it." (You know espresso machines don't have to make that loud screeching noise either, right? If they're doing that, they're doing it wrong.)

Oh, by the way, that fourth picture is a picture of all of the sidewalk construction that was scheduled to begin this week. Look at all that construction that is not happening where our parklet is not.

Do you have your tickets yet for the Cocktail Robotics Grand Challenge this Sunday? I'm guessing you do not. You should fix that. It is one of my favorite events of the year, so don't miss it.

1. Joe Loughry says:

In parts of Denver you see billboards hawking CO2 delivery in quantities that suggest industrial use but imagery that does not. Loads of former warehouses, anonymous but for the 1-0-0-SA fire diamonds on them, strip protons from water and combine them with carbon atoms and high intensity light—most of the oxygen is thrown away, two thirds of the volume of all those CO2 delivery trucks. It takes almost three tons of CO2 to grow a ton of biomass, most of which is not useful.

I wonder if grow houses landfill bits of the plant they can't use and get carbon credits for it.

• Mark says:

I helped a company get green power credits for its bitcoin mining operation, so I'm sure the weed guys are composting and getting some sort of credit.

2. Jeremy Wilson says:

Glad you finally found someone to help with the games!

3. David says:

It may be supposed to do that - there is probably still some liquid CO2 in the line between the connection fitting and the backflow valve. Your setup may also not be rated to the full pressure of room temperature liquid CO2 (60bars) - so the line has to be vented before the pressure rises to a dangerous level. Your tank setup is probably a low pressure cold storage tank (for large tanks the regular structural checks at high pressures get unnecessarily expensive, so usually large amounts of CO2 are stored at ~ -20°C / -4°F). At that temperature the liquid CO2 takes a bit more time to evaporate out of the line. While it is doing so, it also condenses moisture from the air - leading to a spectacular plume (although some of that plume consists of dry ice snow crystals).
    Source: My day job is in working with liquid CO2.

4. Rick C says:

"You know espresso machines don't have to make that loud screeching noise either, right? If they're doing that, they're doing it wrong."

Kind of like that one episode of Doctor Who.

5. MattyJ says:

So happy to see PacMan has gone legit. Hope it wasn't more trouble than it's worth.

• MattyJ says:

Also, in case there are any PacMan aficionados out there, the highest score ever obtained on that machine (documented, anyway) is rolled over (1,000,000) plus another 55,300. The highest score obtained with one guy is 499,960.

6. Caroline says:

I have also never seen that Airgas delivery, ever. In all my years...huh.