2-May-2016 (Mon)
Wherein "trying" is so 2010.

Bootie Aprilween had a costume contest, as usual, and it was a travesty of justice, as usual.

The guy who won was wearing a $12 "slice of pizza" costume. Absolutely zero effort or creativity. He might as well have been wearing a giant foam sombrero, or a t-shirt that says "this is my costume".

And not only that, but the audience chanted for him. They chanted. They were 100% on board.

There was a girl wearing a really great home-made Loki costume, with a light-up staff and everything. It was really well done. Effort was invested! She came in second, but honestly, I don't think she even won the popular vote; I think the superdelegates weighed in on that one.

There were also several full-body-suit furries who entered (it was furry night in Above) and nobody even cheered: you could hear a pin drop. I mean, I can kind of understand them not winning outright, because furries kind of all look the same (is that racist? That kind of sounds racist) but still, effort was expended. Even wearing one of those things is an ordeal.

Dr. Kingfish has a theory, that I find hard to counter, that these days "trying" must be a thing that is commonly considered to be uncool. People flock to these semi-crowdsourced events that offer nothing but "participation", so long as that participation takes zero effort -- the kind of Special Olympics where you get a prize just for showing up, like pillow fights and lightsaber battles. If participation means wearing a trivially simple uniform and leaving a mess for someone else to clean up, people are all in. But if participation means you had to actually try, oh, no way, forget about it. "Trying" isn't done.

So when Pizza Guy wins the costume contest, what the people are saying is, "Look at that guy, not quite trying! Way to not-quite-try! You really hit the sweet spot there!"

I've been calling it the Culture of Meh. "Meh" is the worst word in the modern vernacular: when you use it, you are saying, "I don't have a strong opinion about this thing, but I think that the fact that I am not taking any kind of stand about it is important enough for me to talk about. Look how noncommittal I am, and how that is something to be admired." It's a celebration of beige.

This used to be a town that treasured its costumery. Maybe this is the new normal, now that we've become a bedroom-community suburb of Mountain View.

Anyway.

There are a bunch of new galleries since the last time I did a photo dump.

Bootie: Valentine's Party

Scarlett Fever
Hubba Hubba: Cartoon Funhouse

Bootie: Pop Goes The Diva
Dorkbot @ Codeword
Bootie: Aprilween

1. Jeff Ross says:

this commentary is so spot on

2. Yes and no. I think people just stupidly like pizza. But trying is the new uncool for a lot of idiots. Fuck em, and dear god no one actually fuck them.

3. Maybe they were Hipster Ironic.

4. MattyJ says:

Do you think it could have just been a goof? Like 'Ha ha! Wouldn't it be HI-larious if that idiot in the pizza costume won?'

Unfortunately, that attitude might be coming to a Presidency near you in the not so distant future.

5. isabella v. says:

I christen thee "Boaty McBoatface."

6. Jim Sweeney says:

Trying fucks up the grading curve... People who invest time, money and effort into honing a skill or creating something are ruining everyone else's illusion of being awesome, and they're doing it on purpose.

7. Lloyd says:

You own DNA Pizza.

DNA Pizza sells pizza.

The audience supports DNA Lounge and DNA Pizza.

The audience likes pizza.

Way to go on the crosspromotional branding! score!

8. Claire says:

Woooow. I love you, bro.

This is why I no longer go to DNA Lounge in costume or at all unless it's to order pizza. The crowd sucks, especially the 8bit nights and Death Guild.

I'd rather just order delivery from DNA and dance around in my living room to The Smiths... It'd be more fun and not painfully obnoxious.

9. meat is murder. also waving around. says:

dancing around naked to the Smiths is something you can never do at DNA Lounge.

god knows, I've tried.

oh, morrissey.

10. Anonymous Hurf Durf Pizza Smurf says:

Lazy bums who don't work is part of the hippie stereotype, right? For a reason, right? This is the next generation of that.

It's a misconception that "cool" means "I like it," or "I support what you are doing," or "that's good." It literally means "I don't care." "Oh, you want to ruin yourself with drugs? That's cool, man. You're going to shoot some people for the revolution? That's cool, man. You're going to sit around and smoke weed and do nothing all day? That's cool, man. I could not possibly care less. I am cool with it, pretty much regardless of what it is, because I am cool to it, and to you, and to everything. Not warm, not hot, not even cold. I don't hate, and I don't love, because I don't care. I'm me, and I'm cool, and that's all I care about. Cool your jets, man. Be cool."

You know what else is cool, and gradually getting cooler? A corpse. So what if it walks around and does tricks for a while? It's dead. Normal people, people who are alive, are not cool. They are warm. And they stay warm in a cold world by working hard at things that are not cool and never will be cool.

11. also says:

The hipster is an underground man. He is to the Second World War what the dadaist was to the first. He is amoral, anarchistic, gentle, and overcivilized to the point of decadence. He is always ten steps ahead of the game because of his awareness, an example of which might be meeting a girl and rejecting her, because he knows they will date, hold hands, kiss, neck, pet, fornicate, perhaps marry, divorce—so why start the whole thing?