14-Jul-2015 (Tue)
Wherein construction has begun!

APPROVED!

And today, this very large box was delivered. Witness our new oven! Shiny and Chrome! Oh what a day, oh what a lovely day. It's a Peerless 2348p four stone deck gas oven and it awaits you in Valhalla.

This is our new pizza cutter. Do you like it?

SOON:

SOON.

And more on this later (it was amazing), but here's the first video from our Second Annual Cocktail Robotics Grand Challenge on Sunday. Drone Shot delivers its payload to an eager bloodbag:

1. Some Nerd says:

I bake. I pie. I bake again.

2. Bill Paul says:

Do not, my friends, become addicted to pizza; it will take hold of you and you will resent its absence.

On a possibly related note, is there any special reason why DNA Pizza no longer sells any non-carbonated drinks? I know I can get cranberry juice from the bar, but until recently I could get a Snapple and I'm puzzled by the change.

Those didn't sell well, and fridge space is scarce. We have Pellegrino, like a thousand flavors of Red Bull, and the various Pepsi-branded fizzy syrups on the gun. We also sell 2-liters with delivery orders.

• Bill Paul says:

Everything you listed is carbonated. See, I'm not so much into the fizzy lifting drinks. I know all the kids like them, but the only things they add to my beverage experience are a burning sensation in my throat and gas.

Yes, I know, I'm in the minority. I don't drink coffee either. (How I've survived this long as an engineer is anyone's guess.) But the non-carbonated drink choices have dwindled to the point where they're few and non-obvious. Even a little note listing what non-alcoholic, non-fizzy drinks are on tap would help. All I would like is to be able to walk up to the pizza counter and quickly order a slice and a drink that isn't carbonated (or water), without feeling like I'm making the staff embark on a scavenger hunt, or that I'm the one weird kid in the class.

I mean, maybe I am, but you don't have to rub it in.

• kest says:

It's ok, you're not alone...I'm actually allergic to fizz. Well, technically it's an 'intolerance' or, as I like to say, technically I'm a mutant. I'm just usually resigned to drinking water. I'm guessing they don't have lemonade in the Pepsi brand selection?

• Bill Paul says:

The bar has cranberry juice and orange juice on tap, largely I think because they're used as ingredients for mixed drinks. So they've got that going for them, which is nice.

However:

a) These aren't mentioned on the menu board. You have to know ahead of time to ask for them, or else interrogate the wait staff.

b) It's not entirely clear if you can order them at the same time you order pizza, and pay for both at once. If you can, great! But otherwise, having to order separately from the bar makes for a poor user experience. (Maybe Jamie would take notice if I made an unfavorable comparison to iTunes.)

c) You might want to ask them to hold back on the ice.

Like I said, there are choices, but they're non-obvious, and the carbonated stuff always gets top billing.

3. Congratulations!!

4. flodadolf says:

The saw: It chooches both admirably and lustfully, but I do not think that it is quite as skokum as a pneumatically-driven chainsaw sawing horizontally through a vertical concrete wall.

5. David Konerding says:

In the old days, I worked a stone pizza oven, and we called the pizzas "stone pies". The oven was great, pies were done in just a minute or so if you put them in the back, with great crust, etc.

6. robert_ says:

But is that oven internet enabled, so you could monitor its operation from the comfort of somewhere that isn't where the oven is?