10-Jun-2015 (Wed)
Wherein you run around in the dark, gobbling pills and listening to repetitive music.

Oh yeah, this just happened:

Manufactured four years before DNA Lounge opened.

1. I strongly, strongly approve of this course of action.

2. Phil says:

Is this in a public area? How long before it gets tagged, urinated upon, and fouled with spilled drinks?

This is why we can't have nice things.

• nooj says:

Given the bright light shining on it, fortunately that might take a while.

• Phil says:

"Challenge accepted!" squeal the miscreants.

• Steen says:

That bright light is only on it because we weren't open at the time this was taken. I too, fear for the Pac.

3. Bill Paul says:

Call me back when you get a Galaga machine. (Wherein there are bugs everywhere and they're trying to take you prisoner.)

4. Dan says:

Nice! How'd you score an original? I know you can get newer reproductions, but working original Pac-Man machines are pretty pricey.

A generous benefactor said, "Come get this thing out of my garage!"

The cabinet and monitor are definitely original, but I think the logic board is a later rev.

• MattyJ says:

I don't know the provenance of the machine prior to obtaining it in 2004, I was told it was all original, and it is old, but who knows?

It was in an arcade in Southern California for its first few years of life, then my friend bought it around 1988/1989. Then he gave it to me. I could probably get more history if folks are interested.

I have gotten both coin acceptors working and successfully re-keyed it, so I think it's ready for first contact with the enemy!

The logic board looks awfully clean compared to the high voltage end, and there's a sticker on it from 2007, I think, but maybe that just indicates a servicing? I didn't spot serial numbers but I didn't look too hard. The firmware refers to itself as "Pac Man 5" but some quick googling didn't tell me what that means.

• MattyJ says:

Nice!

You'd think that 2007 wouldn't be that long ago as far as my memory is concerned, but you're right. I did have a guy come out to look at it when it was misbehaving perhaps around that time. There was a lot of red noise on the display. I think I may recall that he said 'bad comb filter, I just took it out'. But, unless he secretly switched the boards out when I wasn't looking ...

5. Greg Creech says:

We should talk cabinet security hasps.

6. MattyJ says:

The highest score ever accomplished on that machine is over a million. Hop to it, Pac-Nerds. :)