28-Nov-2012 (Wed) Wherein this blog gets dragged into the 21st century.

I took a big step (for me) and ported the DNA Lounge blog to WordPress. Prior to this, it was a lovingly hand-crafted series of Perl scripts that generated static HTML files. (Except without the love.)

It's got some rough edges, but I think I managed to keep all of the URLs the same, and all of the pages looking the same as before. I know that navigation between pages is still a little screwed up, but let me know if you see any other weirdness.

The comment system is now the built-in WordPress comment system, instead of Disqus. I think I managed to import all of the old comments. Disqus was OK, but I prefer to not rely on third-party services when I can help it: in the long run it always ends up being more trouble than it was worth.

7 Responses:

  1. Robert says:

    I'm impressed with your commitment to migrate "things" with so little data loss. I've stuck with bloxsom (blog == text files + directories) evein migrating to pybloxsom with the "simplest possible blog" is kindof frustrating.

    Basic stuff for your conversion seems to be OK, but post titles are doubling date info (ie: In this one "28-Nov-2012 (Wed)" appears twice).


    • jwz says:

      I am a stickler for data integrity...

      Thanks for pointing out the title thing, I hadn't noticed that.

  2. Legolas says:

    I found this after thinking 'strange, nothing for several months on the blog', and found that the rrs feed url I used so far ( http://www.dnalounge.com/backstage/log/latest.rss ) no longer works. It seems my rss reader doesn't follow redirects for rss urls. (Updated now, so I'm good again

    • Legolas says:

      Forget that, it appears to be my rss reader that can't deal with the output of something. Even with the new URL, it throws up an error because 'Refresh feed failed with error: Unexpected HTTP Response: Forbidden<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN" "http://'(etcetc). It seems it somehow reads a 'Forbidden' out of something before the actual rss content. My browser doesn't, so I guess it's the rss reader :( Oh well.

      • jwz says:

        I think this is because your RSS reader is called "RssBandit" and there are a ton of poorly-behaved web-scraping bots with "bandit" in their names, so those are on my bot-blocking blacklist.

        Because of how WordPress works, I don't know a way to whitelist RSS feeds like I did before. WP isn't letting me distinguish between RSS and other pages.

        • Legolas says:

          Wow, yes that's the one, well spotted. Pity to hear it's just the name that messes it up (well others forcing you to do that), but maybe I can find a way to change what it identifies itself as somewhere. Thanks for the hint!

Comments are closed because this post is 10 years old.