26-Mar-2014 (Wed)
Wherein that was the best $5 I've ever spent.

I was sitting at the DNA Pizza bar this afternoon when one of my employees walked by and said, "Ok, I'm headed next door to get a tattoo."

"What are you getting?"

"I'm gonna get the Odd Salon logo!"

"What? Not the DNA logo?"

"You buying?"

"I'm in for $5, here."

Pretty soon everyone in the room piled on: "Sure, I'm in for $5." "Me too." "Here's $2." And suddenly he had $50 and couldn't say no.

"Business before pleasure," the tattooist said, and did the DNA logo first.

1. . . . And now you own five shares of that part of said employee's leg.

• David Matthew says:

Yeah, but the return on that investment is only going to be 2x-3x.

• Jeremy Leader says:

Is that bad, compared to the returns on jwz's other DNA Lounge investments?

2. Rachel James says:

He may have done the DNA logo first, but we all know who was the butter on that bread.

3. Kevin Lyda says:

So what you're saying is that you helped to foot the bill for a leg tattoo?

I'll get my hat...

4. nooj says:

I saw some pretty great and impulsive tattoos gotten during SXSW.

I was at British Music Embassy with a friend on Wednesday afternoon, I think during Slaves (who are terrible). Ten seconds into their opening song we're both tuned out and chatting with the people next to us. She turns to me and says, "I've been wanting to get a tattoo right here. If I can think of what to get, I'll do it right now." I nod vaguely. I've heard things like this before. It takes time to settle on the right design.

Five minutes later: "I got it! A ________."
    I'm impressed. It's appropriate for her and interesting. "Text your artist," I say.
    "No, I don't have an artist. I just use whoever is available."
    O_o   For as many tattoos as she has, I'm surprised, especially as her last one is huge and beautiful and ongoing.
    "Where's the nearest tattoo parlor?" she says.
    "Ironically, I've never been in a tattoo parlor in Austin, but the three closest are _________."
    She's fucking serious! We lock eyes and kill our drinks. "Lead the way."

She described the tattoo in four words, the artist spent ten minutes sketching it, and before Slaves finished their set it was done. She had paid and we were three steps toward the door when they remembered, "Oh shit! We need you to sign this consent form."

It's an awesome tattoo.

5. Tmscott says:

Wow, I'm sure that's less than Golden Palace paid that other person. Good deal!

6. nooj says:

There's a Pokémon at DNA Lounge! Best Dance Club indeed!