25-Mar-2014 (Tue)
Wherein we're hiding it for your own good.

Next Thursday's performance of Terminator Too: Judgement Play is almost sold out! Get your tickets now...

So here's a weird little ritual we've found we need to go through: when we have a show in Above DNA, even if there's nothing going on in the big room, we can't let our staff ever go through the connecting door during load-in and sound-check, even though that would make things like stocking the bars and re-filling the ice wells easier. They have to go down and around.

This is because we've found that we need to basically hide the fact that the big room exists from most bands who are playing up there. That's the 250-capacity room, and if they get a look at the fact that we have an 800-capacity room, they tend to say, "Aw, man, what are you putting us in here for! That's bullshit!" and then they're cranky and hard to deal with all day.

As alegedly-professional performers, they should know better: they should realize that they're only going to get 50 people, and 50 people in the big room would be throwing a hot dog down a hallway. But they don't typically like to think of themselves as bands who only get 50 people, so we can't say to them, "Dude, you can play in that room when you're more popular", or they'd just be even crankier.

So we keep the doors closed and hope they don't notice it's there. So silly.

Hey look, photos:

God Module
Scarlett Fever
Pow Pow Pow
Eyes Set To Kill
Truckfighters
Death Guild 21st Anniversary

1. Casey says:

I'm a little surprised you don't take a special kind of pleasure in telling them they're not big enough to play the real room yet.

2. Michael V. says:

God Module? Has all been forgiven?

Hey, get it right. I think you meant to link here and here.

They've played here four times since that time they said they were never playing here again. I have no idea why David keeps booking them. I have no idea why people keep paying money to see them.

I used to make fun of the sad industrial karaoke "bands" who play here, but now I don't even notice them any more. I guess that means that they are finally, literally, beneath contempt.

• Michael V. says:

Heh, that second entry was the one I was actually looking for, but Google failed me.

I don't get it either. I'm in a band with a sequencer, and that makes me feel guilty enough. I REALLY want an electronic drummer and two more synth players, so we can lose the sequencer, but finding them hasn't been easy.

I once made my bandmates change a sequence part that sounded too much like a real bass guitar, because I didn't want anyone to doubt that I was actually playing my instrument at any point.

• nooj says:

I have a few CDs I would pay $20 to hear on a big, high quality sound system.

3. Anthony says:

If the band has an actual manager, whose ego isn't tied to "being in a band", he'd probably cope with the idea that the 800-person room is just too big. But musicians? "Professional" means that they actually rehearse and show up on time for shows, not that they are able to calmly and rationally accept unpleasant facts. Music performance is way too much about ego to expect otherwise.