9-Dec-2011 (Fri)
Wherein Comic Book Guy tells me how it is.

Oh man, the comments on my last post, both here and on my personal blog...

This is what is so beautiful about the Internet. I make a post about some of our difficulties in working with agents and promoters, informed by our decade of real-world experience of having actually worked with hundreds of bands, hundreds of agents, and hundreds of promoters in every genre under the Sun. And then you, The Internet Embodied, you lean back in your chair, stroke the fuzz on your third chin that you call a goatee, and pronounce: "Well, you know what your problem is. Your problem is, your web site is green."

Thank you, Internet. I will give your theories all the consideration they deserve.

1. philnelson says:

Everyone knows the real problem with your website is that I didn't make it.

2. Jessica Beth says:

GREEN, Jamie. It's greeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeen.

3. DrewMC says:

Ok, I guess I'm one of the weird people who actually LIKES your colorscheme? (Though I'd have gone with amber for links, but that's me, and this is you.)

4. Luke Burton says:

I'd just offer encouragement: in a world where success is all about who you know and what connections you have, the only thing you can do is keep plugging away. It sounds like there will be a huge degree of luck involved. The right band with the right agent might launch your venue for live music overnight. I don't envy your position. I like my problems to be deterministic and able to be attacked using logic. The idea of having to schmooze entertainment industry agents fills me with teh stabby.

One more thing, perhaps for any agents listening: I would pay a premium for a venue with superior sound. I'm relatively new to the area and have only been to gigs at the Warfield so far. The sound there is absolutely terrible, and that's just the start. It's clear the place trades solely on its name and storied reputation, rather than any technical merit (perhaps an unfortunate lesson here …)

I saw Grinderman there, and later Mastodon, and for the first time in a long time I had to wear earplugs. Why the freaking hell do people trade clarity for volume? It was like being locked in a barrel and kicked over Niagra Falls. I don't pay money to see live bands and expect to also pay with permanent hearing damage.

It's not just the volume. I saw PJ Harvey there and it was also trash. The sound was hugely directional. It was a different concert if you moved from one part of the venue to another. I saw PJ Harvey in Sydney at the Big Day Out festival. Outdoor gig. She played solo on stage and it was like she was standing next me. Sound setup appears to be a difficult, but mostly solved problem, if people care to do so.

So it seems like the incentives for agents aren't aligned with selecting a quality venue, but selecting a venue that brings sufficient punters in. They seem confident that no matter how dreadful the event itself is, that people will come back for more purely based on the reputation of the band.

I can't even speculate on how to fix this problem, but I can say as a punter that I would prefer to patronize venues that prioritized sound. I'll forgive all sorts of other sins if you give me memorable sound.

5. kesuboje says:

Damn people, what's wrong with green? I like the green.

6. gryazi says:

For the record, I, Comic Book Guy (actually worse, just a furry) dig the green.

7. Chris Stehlik says:

It's not easy being green.

8. Mysterc says:

Green? GREEN??? When Al Gore invented the internet he did not intend for it to be GREEN!

9. Conner Richardson says:

so why is your club failing to attract the acts you want?

10. Lloyd says:

It's not easy, being green. Hey, maybe you can book those guys for the all-ages high-school crowd!

11. Ed Marshall says:

You know who else had a green website?

Hitler.

• Red GrittyBrick says:

You can't invoke Godwin's yet, we haven't gotten on to the non-green jokes!

• 0x6772 says:

Replying to the losing post makes you the loser. (No, pointing this out doesn't make me the loser. Shut up.)

12. Lloyd says:

"It's taken how many years for you to organise putting a sign up outside? And now you want to organise paying events?"

13. Vladimir says:

I've always felt that the stronger I hated a particular bit of negative feedback to my work, the more likely it was be the actual wrong bit about it. Changing that bit around has always turned out for the better. That said, I like green. And orange.