21-Jul-2011 (Thu)
Wherein the NASCARization of the web continues.

I understand all the cool kids are switching from Facebook to Google+ now, so I went and added "+1" buttons everywhere I had "Like" buttons before.

Man, that shit is hideous. But we gotta do it.

I'm not sure how useful Google+ will be from a business point of view, since they seem to have no analogue of Facebook's "fan pages". So while we have a stub of a presence on Google+ via our "Google Places" entry, I guess, which lets people "check in" and whatnot, there doesn't seem to be any mechanism for a business to communicate to their customers. On Facebook, when I post something to the DNA Lounge page, everyone who has "Liked" us sees it in their feed, but as far as I can tell, there's nothing like that on Google+.

I also slapped an animation on the front page hyping our merch, because, hey, why not. Go buy some shirts or dog tags, ok? Yeah, it's the second decade of the Twenty-First Century and I'm still making anim-GIFs. That tech's got some legs.

1. Ian McKellar says:

Animated GIFs are the web's vinyl records.

2. David M.A. says:

As I understand it, there is an analogous version of the pages ecosystem coming to google+ eventually.

3. Tim Krajcar says:

The business pages are coming. They're talking to a few major brands right now to help get insight into the best way to set it up. But it's part of the roadmap.

• mike says:

I am highly skeptical of the assumption that “talking to a few major brands” is a good way to gain insight into how small business could benefit.

4. Jon Dowland says:

A recently spotted, slightly insincere-reading homage to the animated GIF: http://dashes.com/anil/2011/07/animated-gifs-triumphant.html

There are some good links in that article. Some really nice, subtle stuff.

• Anil Dash says:

Insincere? Dude, I *really* like animated .gifs. Seriously. What more can I do than ramble on at length about their awesomeness? :)

5. Ryan says:

Source for the "coming soon" business pages on G+:

6. Ryan Russell says:

Animated gifs are dead? Nobody mention the tumblr...

7. asan102 says:

I feel like 'nascarification' has more fitting connotations.

8. Seems like the model should be to allow people to add Google Places to a circle that they're following. Don't see an obvious way to do that yet, but it seems like a natural feature for them to add.

9. Seg says:

I've been keeping an eye for the non-human profiles too, specifically for Ümloud!. As soon as I know about it, I'll let you know.

10. Erbo says:

Yeah, well, it's a *tasteful* animated GIF. Which really ARE scarcer than hen's teeth these days.

11. You just love the "NETSCAPE2.0" tag in 'em.