23-Mar-2011 (Wed)
Wherein we get Internets on everything.

Last week Devon and Steen went into unspeakable crawlspaces with a spool of Cat5, and today John and I hooked up four more wireless access points in the pizza place. DNA Pizza now has basically the same wifi capacity as DNA Lounge itself. It's kind of overkill, but I got ten of these APs as a batch on eBay for cheap last year, so we might as well use them.

There's Internets all over the place now. We're just spraying Internets all over the street. People will be driving by and get home and think, what is this crap on my window? Is this Internets? It's like when you order a slice of pizza and first you have to take a bunch of napkins and sop up all the Internets pooling on top.

Yeah, it's kind of like that.

1. Jim Sweeney says:

"sop up" = underused phrase.

2. Patrick Berry says:

Good god man...you're crazy good at Internet.

3. Andrew Stern says:

For future reference, Engenius makes some excellent quality high-power indoor AP's with good management capability, multiple SSID's & VLANs, fast routing (if you need it), POE power for single cable drops, and relatively cheap too ($60-$80 a pop) that blow those old Aironets out of the water Especially if you're tired of dealing with the Cisco Wireless controller. It's called the EAP-3660

4. Luke Lathrop says:

dude, that is a total ad....He got those for 15$ each, which is less than a used wrt54g, much less your product. They don't require a wireless controller, and the are pretty decent for an AP. They have every feature you mention, except maybe POE. about the only thing they don't do 802.11n, and who cares about that yet.

They do have POE, though I'm not using it.

• Andrew Stern says:

Believe me, no ad. I could write a tome about the issues I've had with crap quality APs working in SF high-rises. San Francisco ISM RF is at such a huge premium that most AP devices just can't keep up and get overloaded after 3-4 devices are attached. Cisco can handle it, so can some $$$ devices, but most everything else falls apart. I've had up to 20 clients pulling a couple Mb/s out of these, which is impressive.

• Ben Brockert says:

$15 is hard to beat, but if we're talking higher-end wifi hardware... I used engenius for a while, but gave up on them for their shite UI. Ubiquiti is where it's at now, with the unusual intersection of good hardware design and good software design.

Plus my favorite checkbox ever, "Obey Regulatory Power".