23-Jun-2010 (Wed)
Wherein the web site gets some cosmetic surgery.

I've made some substantial structural changes to the DNA Lounge web site to make it be more usable on iPhones and the like. Please let me know if I've screwed anything up.

Things should look basically the same as before when you look at these pages on a real computer; however, on phones, the fonts should all be of a readable size now, and you shouldn't ever have to pan left and right. Basically you shouldn't ever be seeing a font that is smaller than the font used for the clock in the menubar at the top of the iPhone screen.

(The site's top-level page is an exception to that; it's still kind of a mess. As is the calendar. But the other pages on the site should all be a lot more usable on phones now.)

In addition to bug reports, I'm also open to design suggestions. I'm not completely satisfied with how it looks on phones now, but it's certainly better than before.

One improvement that affects desktops too is that all the photo galleries and flyers will auto-size to fit in your window, if the window is smaller than the image.

And speaking of galleries, there are several new photo galleries since last time: Pestilence, Battle of the Bands, Nachtmahr, Hubba Hubba, and William Control.

1. phs says:

Looks pretty good on Android (2.2).

2. strspn says:

Does a grayed calendar day mean closed, or default hours without an event? I recommend saying one way or the other in the calendar square. "Closed" is better in gray than just the day number, but if it's default hours, "9pm-3:30am" is better.

3. mtbg says:

Nice. Even the top-level page actually looks pretty good to me, except that it's very slightly too wide in portrait mode on the HTC Incredible's browser. Like, the page is trying really hard to be the width of the screen, but just can't quite shed those last few pixels.

Yeah, I was working on that today, and just saw it on a friend's Android, and it's one or two px too wide. I dunno why that's happening... probably a round-off error from measuring the gallery photos in percents.

When scaling down in Opera, those photos differ in height by 3+ pixels, so they must be doing something really dumb at some intermediate point (har har).

Is it still 1px too wide? I tweaked it.

• mtbg says:

Now everything fits within the screen width except for the zip code of your address. The last digit is about halfway over the edge.