13-Dec-2009 (Sun)
Wherein the ground opens up and fails to swallow us, and a tagger is rewarded.

Check this out, apparently a water main break opened up a sinkhole and is trying to swallow our corner of SOMA!

The flood didn't reach quite as far as DNA Lounge, so we are still open tonight. I understand that some day a real rain will come and wash all this scum off the streets. But today is not that day.

Also, photos and videos of Eyehategod and Stormcrow have surfaced.

And! The nicest thing happened the other day. My staff reported to me that they had actually caught a tagger in the act of scribbling all over our men's room! In thanks for the hundreds of dollars of damage this particular shitbag did to our property, we had him arrested and hauled off to jail. Oh, what a beautiful moment. It's like Christmas came early. After all the money we've had to spend over the years cleaning up after these pathetic vandals, it's so great to finally make one pay. My understanding is that the next step is that now we have to call the DA's office and beg and plead with them to actually press charges. Failing that, we can sue in small-claims court. That's a pain in the ass and probably not strictly financially worth it, but I'm inclined to do so anyway just on general principle.

1. ctudball says:

I look forward to the follow-up on the tagger.

Surely the satisfaction of getting some kind of punishment enforced would be worth the cost and effort?

2. wikkit42 says:

Is there an official list somewhere of which laws will be prosecuted, which will be ignored, and what made up laws will be enforced with vigor?

3. g_na says:

I've taken people to small claims court three times (and won each time). It's relatively inexpensive, and only takes a few hours of court time + preparation. Go there as prepared as you can be, with photos, witnesses, estimates for repair, and whatever other supporting evidence you can bring and you'll have a good chance of winning.

4. mattyj2001 says:

Our Holiday party was at the Concourse and the flood knocked out power. We left before we know what was going on but I'm glad we did because the power never came back on and everyone was tossed out early. Bummer.

5. fantasygoat says:

Congrats! It's about time you caught a break.

Small Claims Court cost me a $50 processing fee and a few hours of my time. Well worth it!

6. bifrosty2k says:

SUE SUE SUE!
    Can you post his picture on the front door?

7. gadlen says:

Please sue.

The San Francisco police department supposedly has a graffiti photo archive system with automated recognition so they can catch repeat offenders around the city. When last it was talked about at the self-aggrandizing Zero Graffiti San Francisco event it sounded like vaporware, but maybe... just maybe...

8. gpeters says:

Just imagine the joy when you get a judgement, he doesn't pay, and then you have a sheriff seize his car!!!

• biggeek says:

How much is a 1985 Nissan Sentra with tinted windows, spinning rims and a giant rear spoiler worth these days?