11-Jun-2009 (Thu)
Wherein hell experiences a cold spell.

Holy shit, we have a sign.

Now don't get too excited -- the Curse of the Sign has not yet technically been lifted. Note that I said "we have a sign", not "there is a sign on the building." Now we have to get a permit for having a sign. And a different permit for hanging a sign. And probably a permit for getting a permit. Oh, and then someone needs to actually bolt it to the building.

I expect this to be sorted out some time within the next five years or so.

The observant among you will notice that there are actually two different signs pictured above: that's because, having cut out the letters for the sign, the fellow who made it said, "you know, I could make a second sign out of these cut-outs..." So the plan is to hang the inverse sign behind the stage.

1. perligata says:

Holy shit. YAY.

2. radparker says:

I like the sign. And that is some neat thinking, making a second sign out of the leftovers!

• lionsphil says:

Must have been some precise cutting, too. Although I suppose professional types are using CAD/CAM machines or something, rather than hacking inside the lines then filing it down like schoolchildren in D&T class.

• vatine says:

Probably CAD to do the design and then either a laser or water-jet cutter for parting things.

• nester says:

I was thinking Plasma, something like the plasmacam machine i have..

nothing i love more than cutting out random things using electric arcs and compressed air.

3. strspn says:

Which one is the inverse sign?

• dasht says:

The one with the worse (more suitable for indoors) contrast level between the mesh and the foreground.

Both are lovely work and as someone else said: hat tip to the artist dude who "up-sold" that way. It's going to rock, in a bit, when the one is mounted outside, the other inside, and patrons who haven't read this suddenly realize the hack that created the complementary signs. It's one of those things you see in the built environment that makes you think: "Wow, signs of intelligent life" - somewhat literally, in this case.

-t

4. i am suitably amazed.

also, not sure which one looks better.

5. pmb7777 says:

Awesome. Done at TechShop on the CNC plasma cutter, I presume. Smart to simplify the text; I was wasting time thinking about how to deal with the intentional noise there in the logo.