2-Mar-2009 (Mon)
Wherein we engage in some archæology.

Hey, check this out, it's a video of Consolidated playing at DNA Lounge eighteen years ago! If you watch closely, you can see the different shape of the old balcony railings, and the four-sided bar, with the glowing glass blocks that the bottles sat on.

Which reminds me. I have a complete listing of all the bands that have played here under my watch, but that only takes us back to 2001. One of these days, I'd sure like to construct a listing of all the bands that have played here since 1985. Someone dumped a few pre-2001 band names into the DNA Lounge Wikipedia entry, but I have no idea where that info came from.

Sadly, that time period predates most of the interweb. We're lucky if newspapers have working archives going all the way back to Aught Six, let alone the Nineteen Hundreds.

A few years ago I tried to track down an archive of Steve Koepke's ancient photocopied handbill "The List", since many DNA shows were listed there, but the only archive that I've ever found is this one, and it only goes back to 1994.

Any ideas?

1. httf says:

I remember when he was our god. We waited eagerly for His tiny-printed word, and we carried His message to the heathens by badly-aligned photocopy.

2. violentbloom says:

I saw the swans there in 1991 or 1992 I think it was Fall.
    We saw Pigface maybe twice, and Haujobb, er NIN maybe? I'm sure you have that in your chronicles.

3. mackys says:

I think crusading rap guys are a real downer.

;]

4. icis_machine says:

I sense many visits to the library going over the local newspapers in your future.

5. joeradio says:

Heh. That video was shot by Post TV (which Adam Sherburne introduces as "The Post"), the cable access video show I worked with back then. I had forgotten that some of our clips were up on YouTube, many of them posted by "AntiMusick" (a guy named Paul who came up from Fresno for all the industrial shows). Although I can't remember any other specific examples, I'm sure we shot other bands at the old DNA.

6. nightrider says:

oh my.

I was at this show and I'm fairly certain I spied myself in one of the crowd shots.

This was one of the first shows I went to in SF. Talk about flashbacks!

Thanks for posting this vid!

7. g_na says:

There are a few "old DNA" shows listed here: http://g-na.org/live_shows.html

8. otterley says:

Does the SF Weekly have accessible archives? Its entertainment section is probably a reliable source for past shows.

9. amcmillan says:

You may have already worked this out yourself, but if it helps any the guy who added the pre-1994 info to the Wikipedia article goes by the username VincentJ.