12-Dec-2005 (Mon)
Wherein I don't have anything nice to say but say it anyway.

Photos are now up of last night's Ayria + System Syn + Tesseract7 show. Ayria and Tesseract7 were alright, but throughout System Syn's set, I kept getting the feeling that this was the worst band I'd ever seen, even though I knew that's not even remotely possible -- I mean, Apocalypse Theatre is still far and away the record holder on that one, so much so that mere mortals can't even think to try for the title any more -- but that I was even considering the question says something about how mind-blowingly sick I am of that particular brand of so-called "industrial" cliché. I was surprised to realize that they've played here before... though I guess it's not surprising that I couldn't even tell. It seems that I hated them a lot more this time than last. Well, time has passed, and my capacity for hate has grown.

Oh, there are also some recent photos of the awesome Vau de Vire Society at Pop Roxx, and of Meat.

1. Well, time has passed, and my capacity for hate has grown

uh. yeah. i think, unfortunately, it might be US. and not THEM.

....naw, fuck that, it's THEM.

• ammonoid says:

Its so them. Tho I didn't go to the show.

Why make us play the "is the keyboard plugged in" game every time?

• i mean that we didn't care so much--with so much virulent "YOU SUCK GET OFF MY FUCKING LAWNSTAGE" hate--five years ago. or even two, i'd bet.

crankification!

it IS pretty funny, though, you have to admit. "is the keyboard plugged in."
        you could make a bingo card out of this, just like with hipster bingo.

We should totally print a dozen signs that say that and have people hold them up at the next gothdustrialpop show.

• ding_0_ says:

I keep wanting to invest in wireless midi so I can run around with the keytar, but I fear that unless I have the long ass cable it will look just like a prop.

• that say what? get off my stage, or the question about the keyboard?

how about giant BINGO signs?

I meant the kbd question.

• gnat23 says:

Challenging hairuts Wearing T-shirt of cooler band >1 keyboard DAT tape needs restarting Live drummer with clicktrack
              One bald guy Videogame Tattoos Selling burned CDs at merch table Powertools Combat Boots or Docs
              Ripped fishnets Something's not plugged in FREE Movie quote as song title Blinkenlites
              Backdrop visuals Something needs rebooting Profuse sweating Logo easy to draw in white on black "Buy our stuff"
              Anti-war song Need more monitors White men can't rap Tweeks knobs as instrument Drug references
              • mark242 says:

Jesus -- I saw a KMFDM show a few years back that hit all of those.

• gahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh GNAT IS THE COOLEST

must make note to print out scads of these and hands them out to the eldergrumps and wanna-be eldergrumps standing by the bar for the next show!!

• ammonoid says:

That rocks!

We should totally print those up for the next show.

• transiit says:

You worked at Invisible too long. Isn't any given Pigface show an instant winner?

• gnat23 says:

Brotha, please. Where do you think I got my source material?

Not that it's an instant insult; that's just the amusing pattern of the types of shows I happen to see. I'm sure monks that play gongs have their own Bingo card.

2. So do you ever really get flack for more or less publically badmouthing shitty bands that play at your venue? Considering the participants in the whole gothindustrialwhatever scene I can imagine this is sort of like taking a flamethrower to a powderkeg of drama.

3. technotronic says:

System Syn is industrial? I thought they were house music.. Oh well.. Their album covers sorta look industrialish so I guess that defines their genre.

4. chaoset says:

I really want to say that I'm surprised that Apocalypse Theatre is the worst you've ever seen, but, well...Cain or an Open Vein is one of the biggest mistakes I download every year or so. I keep thinking, "Maybe I can enjoy it this time." The idea's worked with a few other bands, but not this one. There's some minorly interesting mixing going on in the second track, but the vocals are atrocious.

5. violentbloom says:

worse than say...psychic TV at mariners hall?

I didn't go to that. And when PTV played at DNA, I was too transfixed by the Genesis Boobies to even be aware of the music, so, no, they're not even in the running...

Seriously, I don't think I've ever seen a worse band than Apocalypse Theatre. The pointy ears! The ten minutes of meowing!!

• grahams says:

He really does like showing those things off, doesn't he... Every 6 months or so I end up visiting his website, and I'm always surprised he still thinks they are going to shock people...

I don't remember when the Genesis/PTV signal-to-noise became unbearable, but it was probably at least a decade ago...

• fucking

what

MEOWING.

MEOWING.

tell me you're kidding.
        no no, wait, don't--i'm starting to enjoying imagining this.
        as well as the look that must have been on your face.

• vxo says:

Oh dear... this makes me visualize a lame industrial version of the "Jingle Cats" Christmas album.

And to think, I once went through life thinking that there was only hip-hop music to violently hate.

Oh wait... I did go to that, didn't I... I've blocked it out!

• violentbloom says:

you really did hate it!
        And if I recall correctly that was also the show with valor (christian death) doing spooky faces with the flashlight. All in all one of the most pathetic and agonizing shows in my memory...though I don't think I've laughed that hard since. a fucking flashlight for god's sake!

6. ammonoid says:

Hey, when did Simon join Tesseract7?

7. dojothemouse says:

Thanks again. I greatly appreciate your updates, just so that I can feel like I understand everything there is about industrial without having ever listened to it or gone to a show.

8. sherbooke says:

It's your club and I assume you had a hand in hiring these bands so I'm liking the way you fess-up to having the good taste to hire these people.

9. fantasygoat says:

The lead singer for Ayria is hot, so it balances out.

10. revglenn says:

it's my new goal in life to play a show at the dna where the band following us does not completely piss you off or turn your stomach. so far i think we're 0 for 4 on that one.

Hey, you're right! I blame you!

But you're 1/4, really, because I find Cruuuuuxshadows hilarious -- too bad it's laughing at-not-with, but hey, you take what you can get.

• revglenn says:

you know what's really awesome? the cruxshadows singer got pissed at us for being "louder" (or as i interpreted it, better) than them. i found that to be fairly silly.

11. bifrosty2k says:

I didn't know Vato's liked industrial music.