17-Oct-2005 (Mon)
Wherein you should definitely not accept that lollypop.

Photos are up of the Genitorturers + Beautiful Creatures show last week. Genitorturers put on an entertaining show, as always. It was a less intricate/raunchy show this time, but still fun. My camera got sprayed with fake blood. Beautiful Creatures sounded like Wasp or something. Total time-machine 80s metal.

Our ISP is closing down the colo facility that the webcast machine is in, so we had to move it to their new place. This means that we also had to have our T1 circuit moved, which meant dealing with the phone company, which is always a joy. So the phone company sent a guy out to the club -- we didn't know why, because it was the other end of the link that was changing, not this end. Apparently he was there to install a whole new phone line. We asked "why" and he said, "if you don't want me to do it, I won't do it..." So, he did it. It's all working now, and the machines have been moved, and there was much rejoicing.

Did you know that all this crap was hidden under the concrete slabs in the sidewalk?

This is what The Internet looks like. It's a wonder that anything works at all.

Here are our colo machines in their lonely new rack.

These are our new rack neighbors, Internet Archive and Exploratorium.

1. strspn says:

The internet archive should be an interesting neighbor. "The Internet Archive Wayback Machine contains approximately 1 petabyte of data and is currently growing at a rate of 20 terabytes per month." (source)

P.S. Seen this Recall Arnold site yet?

2. bifrosty2k says:

Lollypops in warm places!

This is unfortunately more true to life for EVERYTHING phone company related than you would ever want to think.

3. pvck says:

Sorry to bug, but this seems like an appropriate time to ask:

I'm starting to do a bit of VJ work locally, and I wanted to get the perspective of a professional in the industry in a real city, specifically at the club that as far as I know is still considered the high-water mark in the US for multimedia. Do you guys have an in-house person for doing visuals? Does it depend on the event? Do they just put on a mix and let it run, or do they actually mix to the music? What's your hiring policy? I looked a bit on dnalounge.org, but didn't see any specifics. If you've already addressed this somewhere, feel free to just link at me.

And no, I'm not asking for a job. But I might be in about two years.

4. vxo says:

Ahh, the phone install pictures amused me. My connection to the Internet looks even worse... everything goes through a little junction box full of very rusty brass screw connectors that's very corroded and usually half filled with water.

Phones don't work half the time, but the DSL connection does. Why, I will never know.

5. fo0bar says:

VA Linux? Didn't they used to make servers or something?

6. recursive says:

Whoa, it's like pre-punchdown.

7. Beautiful Creatures sounded like Wasp or something.

i think the term you are looking for, is "butt-rock"
    and those guys thought they looked so hot...

eh, i add you...