5-Oct-2005 (Wed)
Wherein I point out our generosity in terms of service charges. Also, pictures.

Photos are up of all your dorky friends at the last Meat and Pop Roxx events.

Stiletta played at Pop Roxx, and they were fun: old-school girl-punk. Do check them out.

You may have noticed that when you order tickets from us online, there's a $2 service charge to cover the bank credit card fees and the general pain-in-the-ass of running the store. I thought this was low as such things go, but apparently I had no idea. Imagine my surprise when, for the first time in years, I tried to buy a ticket for a show at The Warfield! (Apparently someone over there hates us, so it's damned near impossible for us to get guest-listed, even though we let their staff in here for free all the time. Whatever.)

Anyway, Gang of 4 are touring again: they're playing at The Warfield on Tue Oct 18. You must go see this show. When I saw them in May, they put on what is probably the best rock show I have ever seen in my life.

But when you do, please do so by going to the Fillmore box office instead of ordering them online, because if you go through TicketBastard, they will try to charge you $14.75 worth of "service" on a $25 ticket. That's a 59% service charge!

One of those fees is $2.50 for the "print your ticket out at home, instead of having us maybe remember to mail it to you in a month" charge. Yes, that's right: if they print and mail it, it's "free". If you print it yourself, it costs $2.50.

Screw those guys, seriously.

1. wetzel says:

your not being a dick with the service fees like the rest of the world is very much appreciated.

2. fo0bar says:

Are you sure a paper ticket is free? My experience is usually something like "$2.50 to print it yourself, or $4.50 for delivery".

The worst is ticketmaster-run box offices. $6 convenience charge for the convenience of getting the ticket in person?

I wouldn't use the word "free", but their site did appear to be saying that "print your own" cost $2.50 more than "have it mailed" did. Perhaps there was some second layer of deception that I missed.

• belgand says:

Yeah, I usually go to a local TicketMaster outlet to try to avoid the brunt of service charges. The idea that they make me pay them to print the damn thing out myself is crazy.

Sadly it's often necessary to go through them as many places don't bother to sell their own tickets and most of the shows I go to are about an hour and a half drive away so going to the venue's box office before the show is pretty unreasonable.

• It's "free" if you choose first-class mail, print-it-at-the-last-possible-moment tickets. It's $4.50 to have it mailed to you more than 48 hours in advance of the show.

Bastards.

3. Gee, you could have given me a moment to powder my shiny head. Oh, the horror!

4. smackfu says:

I try not to look at that number. It just makes me angry and I can't change it.

5. violentbloom says:

so you missed my ranty post where I whined about ticketbastard a few months back then failed to concerts for a while in a huff?
    I've given this up as impractical if I actually want to see show...not having the free time to go to the box offices... But I still RESENT paying ticketbastard more than the band or the venue gets.

6. defenestr8r says:

while i am generally opposed to more restrictions in life, there really ought to be a law....