28-May-2005 (Sat)
Wherein The Epoxies, taggers, and [REDACTED] are noted.

Pictures of the Epoxies / Groovie Ghoulies / Royalty show are up now. Angela took these, which means that A) I got to actually watch the show, which was a nice change, and B) the pictures are great! It was a fantastic show, too. I hadn't seen Groovie Ghoulies before, and they're a lot of fun. And The Epoxies were awesome as always. Go buy their new album.

Someone tagged the men's room mirror again; yes, the same mirror that we've only had for five weeks. Thanks, asshole, that's another $500 you just cost us. This time, they tagged it at the Epoxies show, which I guess is the world's way of rubbing my nose in the fact that tagging is so wonderfully "cross-genre" now. It's not just for wannabe gangstas any more.

We now have a newspaper rack for The Onion next to the flyer rack. I'm so glad they've started doing a local SF edition of the paper: it is so much funnier when you read it on newsprint than online. Silly gags like "Investigators Blame Stupidity In Area Death" and "Goth, Metalhead Overcome Subcultural Differences To Find Love" get at least a 20% humor boost by being printed on actual crappy newspaper-paper. We also run an ad in it now. Alas, our ad is nonfiction, but I still get a kick out of it when I flip through a paper and see one of our ads. "Hey, that's us!"

And finally, we recently got a visit from ____ ___ ____ ___ ___ ___ _____ ___ (___ _____ ______ _______ ______). __ ______ __ ___ ____-____-______ _______ _ _____ __ ____ ____, ___ ____ __ ___, ___ _______ _________ _____ ___ _______ _____ __ _____ __ __ ___ ____ ____. "Are you denying me entry? Because I'll be back tomorrow to shut you down!" Well sir, we just need to see your ID... "I don't have to show you my ID, it's got my personal information on it!" __, _____ _____ ___, ___ ___ ___ _________ _____ __ _______. __ _______ ______ _______ ___ ____, ___ ____ ___ ___ __ ____ _____ _______ _____ __ ___ _______ _ __ ______ ____. ____ __ ___ ____ ________ ___ _____ __ (__ ______) _____ ___ _________ __ __ __... _____ __!

____ ____ ______ __ ___ _______ _______ _______ __ ___ ______ __ ___ ___ ____. __ ____ ____ ___ ___ ____ ____ __ "___'_ ___ ____ ___ _ __?" ____________ ____ ____, ___.

__________ __ ___ ____ _______ _____ ____ ____ "__________". ___ __ ____'_ _______ __ ____ ____ _____ ___.

This was one of those situations where we'd love to call up and complain to the guy's boss about (shall we say) "how he carried himself", but that would just result in him being here every night for the next year.

I guess it could be worse, we could be dealing the The Sopranos instead. At least he didn't shoot anybody.

1. bneely says:

I like the mirror in the mens' room at RX gallery. It has all that convex convenience-store charm. Perhaps a cheaper alternative is in order?

2. very nice, more redactions than the meese commission report.

• ctudball says:

If only the redactions were done in the sloppy style they are normally performed, so those of us who stumbled upon this update too late could grab an inkling as to its contents.

• tfofurn says:

I had to check the source to make sure it wasn't just obcured for the clueless. I knew that in <lj user=jwz>'s case it would've been intentional.

What I particularly love about this style of redaction is the way it looked on my friends list, which uses a white background. It was as if somebody had produced one of those multicolor markers just for terminal jockeys.

3. naturalborn says:

gotta love law enforcement

4. greatevil says:

Do you know what is making it so hard to find people to do work at the club? Have you considered trying to get a good general contractor "on staff"? It might be a hit to the bottom line but if the place stays looking better then it might be worth it.

5. musicscene says:

Whiner. What is he afraid of?

When I was working door security here in Minneapolis and I asked someone for their I.D. and they did not give it to me for the LAME reason mentioned above... they did not get in. I always had the owners & managers (sometime me :) backing on that also.

City / County / State officials must produce "valid state I.D." just like everyone else when asked. Again, here in MN that is... not sure about SFO.

Also reminds me of the time when I was working Airport Security (TSA). An Alaska Senator approached the gate (yes, gate screening, sigh) and we selected him for additional screening. "Do you know who I am?" and showed us his Senate I.D. which none of us have ever seen.

"No, sir. Please step over here."

"I do not have to comply with your security check, I wrote the bill on this operation."

"Well sir then you of all people should have no problem."

"I'd like to speak to your supervisor."

"You are sir."

(blah blah...)

Long story short he almost bitched his way out of a ride back home as Northwest was going to shut the gate doors and we were going to have him escorted away with Airport Police.

The statement, "Don't you know who I am?", deserves harrassment.

• pfrank says:

That's classic. If he can't handle the consequenses himself, he should really reconsider the implications of the bill he signed.

• mark242 says:

"I do not have to comply with your security check"

This is the point where the nice men with the angry-looking guns should have approached him, Senator or no. Also, he should have gotten the full body cavity search for being bold enough to brag about writing the TSA bill.

• fo0bar says:

I feel sorry for the man. He should have written to his senator to explain the great injustice that happened that day.

Oh.

6. homodachi says:

Do you swipe/scan IDs at the door?

Regarding the vandalism, is it illegal to have security cameras inside bathrooms if they don't film inside the stalls?

7. aris1234 says:

How did they tag you - with a marker, or by scratching the glass?

Scratching the glass. Always.

• strspn says:

Mount a replacable pane of glass over the mirror?

• A mirror is replaceable pane of glass...

• strspn says:

Sure, but a 24x36" pane of mirrored glass costs $25, the same size pane of ordinary glass costs $16. Perhaps the real solution is to use a bunch of small mirrors instead of fewer larger mirrors.

• inoshiro says:

I'm pretty sure the solution involves a large bouncer. After all, what's the wages of a bouncer for one night in the john vs. a mirror? Or the other stuff that gets broken during such events?

JWZ's said it'd be cheaper for wages vs. replacement. Certainly it'd be cheaper if you could catch them in the act by having circulating security, and make them pay via legal means.

• aris1234 says:

Possible solutions:

1) No mirror (I suppose they'd just scratch the tiles as before)
          2) Polished metal mirror (I suppose this could be scratched, but scratches could be more easily polished out)
          3) Some sort of plastic covering over the mirror - easily replacable
          4) Smaller, easily replaced, individual mirrors above each basin.
          5) Replace mirrors with plasma/LCD screens & a cam all behind glass (that would be cool, but expensive - people would probably etch the glass, but you could record the video from the cam with something like Zoneminder

8. vajrabelle says:

Angela--those pictures are great! The lens made for a huge difference.

9. karlshea says:

For $500 a pop, wouldn't it make sense economically to hire one of those guys who stands in the bathroom and hands people towels? Then you would have no tagging problems.

10. mhagler says:

once upon a time i dated this guy who was the "inside manager" at a shopping mall around here (which meant he was in charge of security and janitors)... tagging the mirrors was a problem for them, and he found some really cool stuff.

it's kinda like transparent layers of a really hard film that they applied to the mirrors like 20 layers thick and they look completely normal, but when somebody fucks up a mirror they just have to peel off the top layer of film and it looks snappy again.

of course I don't know where to get this stuff, but it may be an idea you could look into that sounds cheaper than $500/pop for new glass.

11. technotronic says:

Why have mirrors at all? Are they really needed in a night club?

12. vxo says:

They're only available in smaller sizes, but look promising:
    VandalStop stainless steel mirrors

The reflective surface is polished stainless steel, beneath a replaceable Lexan sheet.

Lexan's pretty cheap at my local home improvement products monopoly, and can be cut to size using any sort of power saw you've got handy.

• strspn says:

Lexan costs several times as much as mirrored glass. Getting a glass supplier who doesn't charge absurd prices might be the solution. Then again, the mounting process might involve using platinum ingots for brackets or something.

• vxo says:

Interesting. That's for the "Margard" variant; what I was thinking of is cheap, but scratches easily.

I'm not sure what the long term costs would be of getting the cheap stuff and replacing more often, or getting the more expensive stuff ("almost as tough as glass") and having it destroyed once in a while...

• jesus_x says:

I Was going to suggest this route, since he has the prison toilets, add the prison "mirrors" too to complete the effect. Then I though that polished steel will still be scratchable, and might cost as much to replace. Less expensive mirrors might be the route to go, aside from a bouncer. I'd love to catch one of these punks in the act. Being a big motherfucker is handy when punks get uppity like this. Get a mad look on your face and take a deep breath and they pee themsleves.

13. fgmr says:

Does the tagging only happen at the hip-hop events?

How about bolting a sheet of plywood over the mirror for those events? Paint it black or something. Sure, it'll get tagged, and flyered, and whatever .. just paint over it for the next week. Some hassle putting it up and taking it down, but for $500.

Sure, it won't look so nice, but if it's just hip-hop nights, who cares?