14-May-2005 (Sat)
Wherein the phrase "there goes the neighborhood" is brought to mind.

I've been (perhaps unwisely) messing around with the layout of the web site. Let me know if I've broken anything.

Some great (by which I mean "not great") neighborhood news: apparently there are plans afoot to build a new twenty unit apartment building on 11th Street at what is currently the smog-check garage, right across the street from Slim's. We are not pleased. The Slim's folks are even less pleased.

Come see Hungry Lucy and BloodWIRE this Sunday. I haven't seen either of them before, but I like what I've heard on their web sites.

1. mackys says:

Apparently there are plans afoot to build a new twenty unit apartment building on 11th Street at what is currently the smog-check garage, right across the street from Slim's. We are not pleased.

Are you worried about them making noise complaints against the club?

• korgmeister says:

I'd imagine so.

How much crack does an urban planner need to smoke before he starts thinking things like "Gee, I know a great place to put a new apartment building, right near A BUNCH OF FUCKING NIGHTCLUBS!"

When you dump a bunch of brand new upscale condos on a block that has been full of nightclubs for twenty years, the results are not likely to be good.

• xenogram says:

I know in some places you can object on the grounds that they will likely object to you later. Might be worth checking out; I reckon a nightclub owner could raise a lot of planning submissions.

• baconmonkey says:

damnit, when I moved in next to the airport, nobody told me it would be noisy.

• editer says:

Yep. In my neighborhood, most of the vacant or underutilized land is being bought up for upscale housing, which I expect will spell doom for the local nightclubs, including one of only two decent places in Fort Worth to hear live music. Grrr.

2. bodyfour says:

Remind me on Sunday: I have a good story about our new "neighborhood association"

3. frandroid says:

Time to join the local business association...

4. fantasygoat says:

This keeps happening in Toronto.

1. Clubs come to an industrial part of town
    2. It becomes a cool place to be
    3. Hipsters get condos in the area because it's cool
    4. Hipsters realize it's not actually cool to live around clubs 24/7
    5. Hipsters become lame and start complaining about the noise
    6. Clubs get closed down

It's happened 2 times in my life and it's starting up again in the current club district. Please be very vocal in opposition to it.

5. strspn says:

You might want to talk to a lawyer about this quick. It seems that you are zoned "SLR", which excludes "nighttime entertainment". Conceivably, the residential building could be agressive if they get approved. Best move on this while it's still in the zone-planning stage.

• otterley says:

I am not a lawyer, but I am in law school and just finished my property class. This is not, therefore, legal advice.

First, zoning does not automatically exclude uses forbidden by the ordinance immediately upon its effective date. To be constitutional, zoning ordinances must provide an (often long) allowance period during which pre-existing uses will be phased out. Those periods can be decades-long, depending on the severity of the physical and economic impact upon the affected properties.

Also, cities have the authority to permit variances from a zoning ordinances. I don't know Jamie's particular situation, but if he has a variance then the zoning is irrelevant.

Finally, the people selling the townhouses have a duty to disclose the fact that they are located within a short distance of a number of nightclubs. The new owners/renters will not be able to claim lack of knowledge when the move in; or, if they do, then they have a cause of action against the sellers, not the nightclubs.

Of course, all of this fails to take into account the politics of the situation. There's also nuisance law (although I can't help but think the townhomes are "coming to the nuisance" which may easily allow Jamie or others to defend against a cause of action) and the fact that the police can make his life difficult if they want to.

There are already 3 condo buildings on our block (two of which were built within the last 5 years). But this new one will be, I think, bigger than all of them put together.

As you said, it's all about politics, not law. The construction lobby is very rich and very powerful, and they'll put their buildings where they damned well please.

The whole "lofts versus clubs" thing has somewhat died down in recent years. I attribute it largely to the economy tanking, resulting in something less of a sense of god-given entitlement on the part of all the people who bought lofts based on their unvested stock options.

A side-effect of this is that SFLNC managed to convince the city to move permitting out of the police department and into a new "entertainment commission", which is a lot less of a conflict of interest.

Still, I'd much rather have a muffler shop for a neighbor than a condo. The muffler shop isn't going to complain about people on the sidewalk going "woo woo" at 3am.

• otterley says:

Not to put too fine a point on it, but...

I don't think the construction lobby is as powerful as you think it is, at least not overall. The reason that they are able to get new building permits in SOMA is probably because most business owners in that neighborhood (besides nighclub owners) are more than happy to have a new audience to cater to. New housing construction tends to drive up the property values in blighted (6th Ave. in particular) and industrial neighborhoods, which benefits those owning the fee simple (i.e. the land itself) and tenants who can leave to subtenants.

Were the construction lobby as powerful as you suggest, I think we'd see a lot more vertical development (i.e. high rise buildings) in the city. There's very, very little undeveloped land in the city and I don't think there have been enough ships sinking in the Bay lately to support additional outgrowth through soil-filling. In neighborhoods already zoned residential, the neighborhood associations, who have an interest in keeping prices high through (relatively) low population densities, completly crush the construction lobby. It is those associations that keep real estate prices high by opposing new vertical housing construction.

6. oh that's just fucking GREAT.

remembering the maritime....

Still glad it's gone. By any means necessary.

• how did i KNOW you would say that. you're so predictable.

Also, note that Sound Factory is still going strong, and they're across the street from the same condos. The reason Maritime had trouble with the neighbors is that they treated them about as well as they treated their customers, and their building: with contempt.

• i'm fully remembering the contempt.

it happened most frequently, personally, on the smoking patio, though, so i thought you'd fully be in favor of that.

(now picturing you holding a fire hose, aimed at the patio)

• revglenn says:

oh come one!
            what better way to show you're love of your customers and building than by letting your restrooms get so out of control that you have to step over human filth tok get a snack or drink?