2-Apr-2005 (Sat)
Wherein sticky girls hit each other.

In accordance with our ongoing policy of trying to get our janitorial staff to quit (preferably in tears), photos of Thursday's Chocolate Syrup Wrestling event are up now.

This was probably the classiest event we've ever booked. Classy with a capital K.

Here's something that I have learned, and will share with you for your future reference: when you get chocolate syrup on your camera lens, it does not wipe off nearly as easily as whatever is in GWAR spooge. Sometimes it makes everything go all soft-focus, though, like Nurse Chapel.

Here's something that creeped me out, that I will also share with you: a moderately-sober-seeming girl in the audience dipping her finger into the wrestling pool and eating a big old blob of chocolate.

Now, I realize that this club has, in no small degree, broken my mind. I wash my hands too often. I open the bathroom door with a paper towel. I saw some of my own behaviors in "The Aviator", and it concerns me. But I still can't let go of the chain of evidence in this case, and must assume that that tasty fingerful of chocolate came with a side-order of week-old vomit, Hepatitis and Chlamydia.

People, please. Don't pick shit up off the floor and eat it. Especially this floor. You're giving me the willies.

In addition to sticky girls hitting each other, there was also a short set by a band (Late Night Sneaky). They had a pretty neat setup. There was a truly gargantuan screen hanging at the front edge of the stage. The band was (mostly) behind the screen and backlit (projecting silhouettes onto the screen), mixed with video of the band being projected on the front. It looked very cool. More Machine Than Man did a similar trick back in September.

1. baconmonkey says:

that looks like they are squirming around in a gigantic inflatable toilet.

2. violentbloom says:

that was pretty nipple filled photography there....
    as to germs...some of them are really fucking nasty.
    use more purell.

3. cryllius says:

When you have events like this, I've always wondered what the logistics are for the contestants. You know, say you're in a night club, covered in chocolate syrup, after everything's over - how do you get home and take a shower? Lots of towels? Complimentary sponge bath?

4. xenogram says:

Where do you get an inflatable pool like that anyway? We could only ever find paddling pools, and they're a bit small for wrestling in.

5. gadlen says:

That was simply wonderful. Thank you!

You might consider using the pool in a few months for an evening of J-Lube wrestling. It's very good stuff. Just like KY at 1/100 the cost.

6. baconmonkey says:

I also can't believe nobody dressed up as a fat german kid named Agustus.

7. waider says:

Some fantastic portrait-ish photos there. And I believe when Gorillaz did their gig(s?) they did the back-lit screen trick as well, in a further attempt to be a "virtual band" or whatever that shtick was.

8. brad says:

With over 4 methods of communicating with me, WHY DIDN'T YOU NOTIFY ME OF THIS IMPORTANT UPCOMING EVENT?

Another reason I should start using one of those fancy calendaring programs I suppose.

9. frandroid says:

So how did these girls come to wrestle in chocolate anyway? Was there prize money? Was everyone paid? Or did they just do it for fun?

• fo0bar says:

They're slaves. jwz locks them up with the mannequins, occasionally taking them out to wrestle in various gooey substances.

10. duskwuff says:

"Mozilla! It's the wave of the future... the wave of the future... the wave of the future... the wave of the future..."

11. jagger says:

You sir are a great man

12. kyronfive says:

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

13. Wow. Those pictures made me feel all tingly.