9-Mar-2004 (Tue)
Wherein you all flock to make some purchases.

I'm pleased to announce that the new DNA Lounge Online Store is now open for business! We've got shirts, stickers, buttons, and dog tags for sale now. (The dog tags are way cool. You totally need some dog tags.)

In addition to those fine products, we also have our first in-house ticket for sale: will-call tickets for the Sorrow / Faun Fables / Hop-Frog show on April 14th are for sale as well. Eventually we plan to sell advance tickets for every event, but we're starting with just the one.

We take Visa and Mastercard, and ship to the US and Canada. (We don't do international orders because the rates of fraud are way higher, and it's just not worth the hassle.)

We're running the store on our own servers rather than outsourcing it, since we're gluttons for punishment around here. Anyway, if you have any problems with it, or have any suggestions, please let me know...

1. chr says:

jwz says:

> We don't do international orders because the rates of
    > fraud are way higher, and it's just not worth the hassle.

You mean that here in the future, there's no practical way
    for an online merchant to assure he gets paid for the
    t-shirt? Shocking.

chr
    Lusaka, Zambia

No, it's not that -- it's that according to the credit card companies, "the customer is always right." International orders have a vastly higher incidence of charge-backs than domestic (where the customer tells the CC company "I didn't get what I ordered" and the CC company says "yes sir!" and takes the money back from the vendor.)

I don't know why this happens so much more often for international orders, but it does.

• chr says:

What I'd want from the CC company is an optional payment
        method in which I, the client, "donate" the cash to the
        vendor, and give up my otherwise comfortable right to
        change my mind once I get the merchandise.

Would that open up for too much fraud?

chr

You've completely lost me.

Maybe it's all that <PRE>

• chr says:

Sorry about messing up your web design with the <pre> tag, just didn't know how to quote in a non-usenet forum.

What's the conventional way? Italics?

Mostly you don't need to cite, since, unlike usenet and email, these messages never expire. But when they do cite, most people use <I>. But I use <BLOCKQUOTE><BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE><I> because I am extra double fancy like that.

And I still have no idea what you were asking.

• chr says:

What I'm asking is: What if customers could make an alternative online credit card payment that was unconditional and irrevocable? Kind of like sending stamps or cash by mail.

Why haven't VISA et al. implemented that?

(if that was too dense, could you please highlight the parts that are particularly difficult to parse?)

• I would assume that market pressures contra-indicate that. That is, this isn't something people have ever wanted, or at least MasterVisaCard doesn't perceive it that way. Perhaps you should disabuse them of that notion.

• xach says:

...unconditional and irrevocable...

Consumer protection laws limit the liability of customers when their cards are stolen and someone runs up a huge bill on them. If your transactions were irrevocable (or if there was an option to make them so), you would have a hard time recovering anything if someone stole your card and used it in your name.

Bank cards (aka debit cards, check cards) don't typically offer liability limits, though they do have daily withdrawal limits.

• macguyver says:

Paypal, for one, doesn't do chargebacks.

• cvisors says:

In australia, it is a lot harder to do a chargeback than it is in other countries.

Though in the company that I work for, our largest amount of charge backs comes from the US.

• eck says:

Hi from the 51st state... since you seem to consider Canada domestic!

Minor brokenness in your shopcart app's quote-escaping: It puts three backslashes before an apostrophe.

• jkonrath says:

I think 74% of Malaysia's GNP is credit card fraud. I don't know how they get the numbers, but if you get an order from there or Indonesia and the card address is in Nebraska or something, you're fucked. It's also always the case that they pick the most expensive shipping option.

It's also amazing that usually if you go through the trouble to call the bank and verify that the card is stolen, the bank totally doesn't give a fuck that it is stolen and won't do shit until the person calls it in. If this is the case, I have no idea why my card is always getting temporarily suspended when I'm on vacation.

2. _uriel_ says:

Um, Sir...we don't have change at Coatcheck, could we charge a buck for the pins instead? Or 2 for a buck...?

3. haran says:

So, since you're not using a third party to do the stuff,
    when do you update the backstage page?

4. deadmoose says:

Do the t-shirt fronts actually say anything, or is it just the logo with a tall box containing some lines?

I can't tell from the picture if it's trying to represent five lines of text, or if it's really just five horizontal lines.

It's really just lines.

On the back, the green-ink shirts say "San Francisco" below the logo and have a small URL running up the right side; the older black/white ink shirts have the URL at the bottom instead.

5. macguyver says:

Ugh, TicketWeb sucks ass.

Yes, which is why we're starting to sell tickets on our own. The ones that are currently on sale through TicketWeb went on sale before yesterday.

6. dustout says:

Where did you get those kickass buttons made? They are sweet.