3-Oct-2003 (Fri)
Wherein I receive a rebuttal from Knob Globule.

Photos of the Informatik / Psyclon 9 show are up.

So I'm sure all of you are going to drop dead of non-shock when I tell you that I got an angry email from one of the God Module guys. It was very long, but I'll summarize it:

• You don't know what you're talking about;
  • It is impossible for us to play our music live;
  • Anyone who listens to bands like God Module understands that, and doesn't expect the bands to actually play;
  • No, the synth wasn't plugged in, and no, there's nothing wrong with that;
  • If you don't take down your review, we're going to bad-mouth your club something fierce.

About that synth, he said:

And for your comments on the one synth that was not plugged in the other night. Um, it was not ours. We had asked for a controller from the promoter of the show, he was not able to get one so we asked to use the opening bands synth as a prop for aesthetic purposes. No evil conspiracy involved.

Oh, it was for "aesthetic purposes" that they pretended to play a keyboard that wasn't plugged in! How silly of me. Had I only realized, I would have seen it in a totally different light.

PS: Milli Vanilli called, they want their Grammy back.

I know some of you might be joining us late, so on a more general note, let me try and explain how this works.

Every now and then, when I say something bad about an event we've done here, I get some hate mail calling me "unprofessional." People seem to think that because I'm the owner of the club, I should never say anything negative; everything I say should be rainbows and unicorns. Well, sorry, that's not reality. This part of the web site is where I tell you about what's going on behind the scenes here at the club, and present my personal opinions about it. This is not a fucking press release; this is "the view of DNA from jwz." Yes, I also happen to be the owner; what of it? That's where I am, so that's the only perspective I have.

Many people seem to think that it's insane that I would say anything bad about events that happen here: don't I care about promoting the business? But, see, this is not a publicly traded company. There is no board of directors: my business card says "Benevolent Dictator." I spent a fortune building this venue from the ground up, and we operate it as, essentially, a charity. I receive no salary, and I haven't had a single dime of my investment repaid.

This club is a gift from me to the world.

That means that I don't have to blow sunshine up your ass.

1. jagger says:

Of course it's impossible for dog module to play their music live, it takes musicians to play music.

2. vxo says:

It's always been my opinion that if a musical act wants their show to be more show and less music, they shouldn't pretend to actually be playing it...

I guess you have both ends of the spectrum... people flying around on cables... and acts where they'll play unplugged.

Meanwhile, I find it cute that they took the approach of being a colossal bunch of asses when you presented criticism...

3. reddragdiva says:

There's lots of bands that don't play when they do a show. But they at least put on a show.

( /me contemplates Severed Heads in the DNA)

It's pretending that's the problem.

• hafnir says:

I've been asking TomE to do a show in SF for like 5 years now. I haven't really pushed the issue, though. I was thinking I might ask him again to play here, and I'd be very likely to want to do it at the DNA.

4. bdu says:

schmucks. I've taken to asking "Are they really going to use it?" any time someone asks if I can score a keyboard for a rider. I shouldn't have to.

5. primroseport says:

Hello jwz. This is Callie from Tess7 (among other bands). Tada: I found your lj.

Primroseport is my primary journal (fiction projects) while <lj user=grayslayer> has some heads-up info for my friends.

I'm still very much confused as to how god module's music is impossible to play live. How do pysclone9 do it? That would be a great question for the godmod boys and gals.

• baconmonkey says:

p9 uses a backing track, but the instruments that are on stage are actually making noise.

the other band that pineapplehead (the keyboardist on the right) was in, see colin slash, went so far as to have no backing tracks, and every thing that was sequenced, was triggered and tweaked live. granted some of the keyboard parts were played using arpeggiators, but short of the phillip glass approach, it's very difficult to play fast 16th nots on keys.

6. ammonoid says:

I hate it when people equate "being professional" to being nice to everyone all the time. Its not possible, damn it!

7. chromebishop says:

How about if they can't perform their music live, then they shouldnt perform live. Its not a performance than, is it? its theater, and not very interesting theater imho.

8. kyronfive says:

Excellent rebuttal.

The comment about people in this scene expecting bands to fake live shows because the sound can't be recreated in a live environment was weird.

Call me crazy, but if the audience fully understood and had no problem with the fact that the music can not be played live, what reason would they have to get up there with a prop keyboard and pretend?