19-Jun-2003 (Thu)
Wherein vandalism is whined about.

Photos are up of Thump and of last month's Flavor (including a bunch of the breakdancers.)

Oh, here's something that's been bugging me for a while that I keep forgetting to bitch about here. Quite some time ago, some buttmuncher scratched their name into the mirror in one of the upstairs bathrooms. They scratched it deeply enough that it can't be buffed out. These are single person bathrooms, leaving people lots of time for "creative" redecorating like this. For example, as I've mentioned before, people keep stealing the soap dispenser pumps from the sinks. Not the whole dispenser, mind you, just the top part. Why? Why?

Anyway, the only way to fix this is to replace the mirror, which would cost about $100. And we have such better things to spend that much money on than graffiti removal. So every time I go in there and see this jackass's sputum on the mirror, I think, ``you assholes can't have nice things: we're just going to leave this bathroom locked all the time, so that it won't get destroyed. You've spoiled it for everybody, and I hope you're happy!''

But then I realize that if I did that, I would have paid for the construction of a pristine bathroom that never got used.

Which would be pretty damned silly.

I'm tempted to just rip the mirror off the wall, since I think I'd rather see the glue-pocked tile underneath than give this overgrown adolescent the satisfaction of knowing that people are still seeing his/her contribution to "street art" or whatever the fuck they call it when vandals carve their names into other peoples' property.

1. mrmustard says:

You know, I've looked at so many DNA Lounge photos now that I feel like I've been there. I was thinking I should send you the admission price, but maybe I'll just buy some merchandise instead.

2. ciphergoth says:

I think you could justify taking the mirror down, even if you don't replace it, just in case having it there encourages other vandals...

3. hochi666 says:

It seems a lot of people absent mindedly forget that there ARE public places owned by private individuals. Rarely do people who act in much a manner think that they're destroying property owned by someone. They seem to think that if it's in public place they can abuse the property any way they see fit. Some just don't think and some don't care.

• hepkitten says:

or they forget that property can be owned by normal people trying to make it, not just large corporations, so they think they are getting back at The Man, instead of just fucking with some random guy.

Jamie: Can't you just put a sticker or something over it?

• icis_machine says:

how about put a sticker over it that says:

"this room is under survalience"

just point a cam toward the mirror as opposed to the john. hell, i'm sure you don't even need to put a cam there, just a dome.

I suspect that stickers breed.

4. defenestr8r says:

Cafe Flore (a.k.a. Cafe Haircut) has no mirror in their bathroom. It seems to shorten the wait time to use it considerably. No mirror=no primping.

5. violetiae says:

The mirror is glued to the wall, right? You can't take it off, cut off the part with the graffiti, and put it back up?

If no, then I suggest getting a few bathroom tiles — either decorative or plain, whichever — and just glue the tiles along whichever edge of the mirror that has the graffiti. It will look like an intentional decorative element and tiles can be gotten relatively cheap. (If the graffiti is in a corner, stick a tile in each of the four corners. The point is to make the tile look like it's an on-purpose thing while completely covering the graffiti.)

And if people do it again, and again, and again, keep tiling until the entire mirror's covered up. Oh well, too bad for them. Then you can scotchtape a piece of tinfoil (shiny side out) to the wall and not have to deal with the headache any more.

6. a_0001 says:

You already have the prison toilets.

Have you considered stainless-steel prison mirrors? (Look at items 1810 and 1817.)